New Year's Resolutions and The Perfect Cookie

>> Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year! Oh, to a new chapter...I have felt in year's past each new year represents a page, in a chapter, in my Book of Life.  This year, however, is a whole, new exciting chapter full of change.  Whomever stated that the only thing that stays the same is change itself was brilliant.  As for New Year's Resolutions?  The combination of sticking up for myself more and contributing more...ending up somewhere in the middle, probably adding to laugh more (especially at myself) while lightening up!  I do have a bit of a pet peeve that I would like to improve on and it does have to do with food.  I am resolving to minimize the amount I stand while eating.  It works for some, but for me, not so much.  End up feeling rushed and ultimately (for me), feel it is a bit disrespectful, Yes, disrespectful to the food I am eating.  


And, with that, there comes the most perfect cookie I can remember eating in a really long time.  I recently checked out Baked, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito (famous for their Baked bakery in Brooklyn) from the library to see if it is worthy of purchasing.  It gets the big two thumbs up in my book and, I haven't been a huge baker lately, but just one recipe got me hooked.  It was a lovely picture of a peanut butter, oatmeal cookie with their custom orange M&M's dotting the top...Here is my wheat free version (with gluten-free notes included)...As always, the better the quality of the ingredients, the better the end result.  These really rocked our (cookie) world.  For those who resolved to eating better, well, kind of...

Wheat-Free Version of Baked Monster Cookies

1/2 cup gluten-free baking mix, or rice flour, or GF oat flour
1 T. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
6 cups of rolled oats (gluten free oats if needed)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1/4 tsp corn syrup (I used golden syrup because it was all I had on hand and it worked great)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups creamy peanut butter (I highly recommend Mirantha PB for this)
1 cup M&M's (I used Sunspire's healthy version of M&M's at the "health food" store)

In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and airy (and pale in color).  Ad the sugars and beat until thoroughly incorporated.  Scrape down bowl and add eggs, one at a time (really!), and scraping down the bowl after each addition.  Add the corn (or golden) syrup and vanilla and beat until thoroughly incorporated.  Scrape down bowl and add peanut butter, mixing until thoroughly combined. 


In a separate (medium-sized) bowl, whisk the GF flour mix (or whatever type GF flour you are using), baking soda, and salt together.  Add oats and mix thoroughly.  

Add the oat mixture to the creamed butter mixture, and mix until fully incorporated.  Fold in M&M's.  Cover the bowl and either freeze for 3 hours or refrigerate for 5 hours (resist from eating all of dough!)  


Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment (or aluminum) paper.  Use an ice cream scoop or large tablespoons to scoop dough in 2-Tablespoon balls onto bakins sheets, 2 inches apart.  Bake for 15 minutes, checking on the first batch to see how fast they are cooking.  Remove when just turning golden brown on edges and look (slightly) firm in middle.  Let cool on pans for 10 minutes, then remove to cooling racks (or desired eating plate).  ENJOY and let your world be rocked!



0 comments:

Post a Comment